Advising Expectations of Advisors/Advisees
As students experience the advising process, they will have some expectations about the advisor/advisee partnership. Additionally, program advisors will have some expectations about the student’s role.
- Learn office hours and availability of advising services early in the semester.
- Secure a copy of the curriculum for their program, a current course schedule, and have an idea of the courses they plan to take.
- Be familiar with school policies, procedures, and resources.
- Become familiar with program and graduation requirements.
- Maintain a current address and name with the college.
- Keep in contact with their advisor at least once per semester for course selection.
- Be responsible for their academic progress.
- Seek assistance when needed.
- Help clarify school policies and procedures
- Know where to refer students when additional resources are necessary.
- Assist in course selection.
- Be knowledgeable of their program and current advising practices.
- Listen to students’ concerns and provide assistance and/or referrals
- Help students monitor their academic progress toward graduation.
- Help students make long-term academic plans.
- Provide program-specific information regarding careers.