1. Convey the purpose of the College. The College mission sets the foundation for all advising. This is to improve the quality of life and the educational and economic base of the area. The College prepares adults for the workforce through certificate and associate degree programs and well as life-long learning opportunities. The College strives to meet the needs of the student population, business community, area industries, and public agencies by providing economical, geographically accessible education at convenient times and places.
2. Give information. This includes advice and consultation about registration, educational policies and regulation, as well as administrative procedures.
3. Plan short-term goals. This includes advice and consultation on semester-by-semester program planning, selection of specific courses, advice on specialized course formats like distance learning, laboratory, lecture and work co-op programs, and occupations.
4. Plan long-term goals. This includes advice and consultation about educational and professional objectives suited to students’ demonstrated abilities and interests, identification of the relationship between courses, programs and occupations, and monitoring students’ progress toward educational and career goals.
5. College resources and referral. Student referring recognizes that the academic advisor cannot possibly meet all student needs but that specialized campus services are available. The advisor helps identify services for special needs, interests and abilities that may be served at various locations within Ivy Tech.