Academic Advising Center
Academic Advising FAQs
What can Academic Advising provide me?

The Academic Advising Center provides answers to questions about college programs, career options, scheduling classes, college policies and procedures and other concerns.  Advisors are concerned about your success.  Each student will receive guidance based on his/her individual needs.

Do I need to see an advisor every semester to register?  Who is my advisor?

All new students are advised through the Academic Advising Center until they begin coursework within their majors.  Prior to registration, new students meet with an advisor individually or in a group setting.  Once students begin coursework within their majors they are assigned to faculty advisors.  Although each advisor is assigned a specialty area within the college, a student can meet with any advisor in the Academic Advising Center for guidance.

Returning students should meet with their advisor often to make sure that they are on the right track.  Students who are returning and have begun courses in their major should consult with their advisor regarding what classes to take.  Campus Connect may then be utilized to schedule classes.

Do I have to take a placement test?

All students entering Ivy Tech Community College go through an initial assessment.  The COMPASS test is the most common assessment tool.  There is no charge to take the COMPASS placement test.  The COMPASS placement test is an un-timed computer based test.  Practice questions can be found at

If you provide ACT scores of English 19, Math 19 or Reading 19, or SAT scores of Verbal 460, Math 460, or Critical Reading 460, all or a portion of the COMPASS test may be waived.  Scores must be within the last four years.

Students who have taken upper-level math in high school (trigonometry, pre-calculus or calculus) should consider taking the advanced math portion of the COMPASS placement test.

Students who have earned a C or higher in college-level English Composition and/or Math should provide their college transcripts to an Academic Advisor to receive a waiver of the placement test.

What do I do if I need to drop a class?

Advisors can help students determine what they need to do if they are struggling in a class.  It is always important to talk with someone who can help you explore all of your options before dropping a class.  If you receive financial aid, you should also speak with your Financial Aid Advisor since dropping a class may impact your financial aid.

I want to transfer to another college.  How do I do that?

The Transfer Coordinator can help you in identifying schools that offer the program(s) you want.  They can also guide you in selecting Ivy Tech Community College courses that will transfer to your school of choice.

Are there tools that assist me in understanding my progress to a degree?

Degree Audit Reporting Systems, DARS, is a computerized program that allows students and advisors to evaluate all courses taken against any major requirement for a specific program.  DARS reports can be accessed through Campus Connect.

How long will it take to finish a degree?

The amount of time required to complete a degree vary depending upon each student's situation and specific program.  Generally, a student can complete a degree in two years.  It is crucial to consult with an academic advisor when planning classes to ensure you are heading in the correct direction.

How do I get credit for prior work experiences?

In certain degree programs, work experiences can be substituted for credit decisions of this nature are granted by the Program Chair. 

How do I qualify for financial aid?

You may apply for Financial Aid online at  Be sure to include Ivy Tech Community College's school code, 008547, when you complete the FAFSA.  Financial Aid Representatives are available to assist with this process in the Financial Aid Office.

How many classes do I have to take in order to receive financial aid?

Actual financial aid award amounts are based on enrollment status.  Check with your Financial Aid Advisor for specific information regarding your aid.

In order to receive Stafford Loan Funding, you must be enrolled in and attending at least six (6) credit hours each semester.

What can I do with a degree and how much money will I make?

The Career Services Center is available to assist students in setting career and professional goals.  Resources are available to help student in determining possible careers and specific majors.  Career Services can also help students in researching employment and income potential, and completing a job search.  Faculty can also help guide you in understanding job opportunities and salaries.

I have a disability and need assistance.  What services are available?

Support for students with documented disabilities is available through the Disability Support Services Office.  If you would like to receive academic adjustments and/or receive support for a disability, contact the Disability Services Coordinator at 812-298-2282.

What does Academic Monitor mean?

A student who has a GPA below 2.0 and less than 15 earned credits is placed on Academic Monitoring for the following term and must meet with an advisor to register for classes.  More information about Academic Monitoring can be found in the Student Handbook which is available in Student Services.

What does Academic Probation mean?

A student who has a GPA of 2.0 after attempting 15 or more semester hours is placed on Academic Probation for the following term and must meet with his or her Faculty Advisor to register for classes.  More information about Academic Probation can be found in the Student Handbook which is available in Student Services.

Where can I get help for my classes?

Your advisor is available to assist in directing you to support for your classes.

Faculty are often the best source for students who seek additional assistance in their courses.  If you have questions about a course or assignment, we encourage you to talk to your instructor.

Academic assistance is also available through the Library Resource Center and the Math Lab.